Income diversification and resilience building
The BRACED programme - Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Extremes and Disasters - led by IIED, IED Afrique and the Near East Foundation has worked to incorporate climate variability in development planning in Mali and Senegal. This is done recognising that local communities are best placed to decide which climate change investments will strengthen their resilience, while building upon an ongoing decentralization process in both Mali and Senegal.
In Senegal, IED Afrique has implemented a significant number of reforestation projects to strengthen climate resilience. To illustrate what these projects have provided in terms of concrete benefits to communities and wider society, Altus Impact
- Presented the theoretical underpinnings of how to comprehensively value land use projects, in a workshop with the BRACED consortium in Dakar in September 2017, using an ELD case study from the Mopti region in Mali.
- Undertook a rapid valuation assessment of the provisioning ecosystem services from four reforestation projects led by the ngo IED Afrique in the region of Kaffrine, Senegal.
Related project outputs for download
- Valuing ecosystem based climate change adaptation project (FR), Presentation, Dakar, September 2017
- Decentralising Climate Funds, Economic valuation of benefits from adaptation investments, IED Afrique, IIED and NEF Methodological Note
- Valuing four community reforestation projects by IED Afrique in the region of Kaffrine, Senegal, working paper